In the center of Barri Gotic, in the heart of Barcelona, is found the Gothic cathedral called La Seu. The foundation stone of the current church has been laid since the 13th century but the cathedral was completed only in the early 20th century.
The church was named after the saint who patronizes the city of Barcelona - Saint Eulalia. The official name of this cathedral in Barcelona is the Cathedral of Santa Creu and Santa Eulalia, which in Catalan means the Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia. The most commonly used name when referring to this cathedral is "La Seu" and is due to the status of the church of the diocese.
Cathedral of Barcelona - La Seu
Since 343 AD. during the Roman Empire, a basilica was built on the site of the current cathedral. In 985, the basilica was destroyed by the Moors. It was replaced by a Romanian cathedral that was built between 1046 and 1058. A chapel, Capella de Santa Lucia, was also built between 1257 and 1268. Later this chapel was incorporated in the monastery near the cathedral.
30 years later, in 1298, the construction of the current Gothic cathedral was started under the reign of King Jaime II, known as the "Right One". During construction work, the old church building was demolished, except for the Santa Lucia Chapel.
Due to the civil wars and the plague that hit the city several times, the construction of the Gothic cathedral progressed very slowly. It was not until 1460 that the main body of the cathedral was finished. The Gothic facade was completed much later, in 1889 and the last part, the central tower was completed in 1913. Both the design of the facade and that of the tower are based on the original project from 1408 of the French architect Charles Galters.
The church is 93 meters long and 40 wide. The clock towers have a height exceeding 50 meters. They were built between 1386 and 1393. The central tower is 70 meters. The interior has a nave and 28 side chapels. In the crypt is the sarcophagus of Saint Eulalia and the cathedral also has a spectacular and very beautifully carved choir. An elevator that leads to the roof has also been installed on the cathedral.
In the immediate vicinity of the cathedral there is a monastery from the 14th century. There are always 13 gangs here in the central courtyard. Each gang represents a year in the life of the holy martyr Eulalia, a young girl who was tortured to death for her faith by the Romans in the 4th century. The monastery also has a small museum that exhibits liturgical artifacts. The cathedral is located in Placa de la Seu, in the Barri Gothic district.
La Seu Cathedral is open between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM.
13:00 PM - 17:00 PM - Between these hours the entrance is paid.
Between 8:00 AM and 12:45 PM and between 5:15 PM and 8:00 PM entry is free.
Adults: € 5.00;
Metro: Jaume I and Liceu.
Placa de la Seu s / n, Barri Gotic, Barcelona.
Tourist objectives Barcelona